Trained as a teacher, York's Mary Cadwell Fisher became a skilled nurse amid immense medical needs in the Civil War.
In 1965, the Black congregation at Faith Presbyterian Church in York, seen here with its Community House, merged with white parishioners at nearby First Presbyterian Church.
A study of St. Paul (Lebanon) Lutheran Church in the Felton area shows a resilience that has sustained the congregation for more than 200 years.
The Adams County Arts Council unveiled a popup exhibit featuring the Ukrainian symbol, the sunflower.
Some Civil War sites in York County are well known, but others are in remote areas and take legwork to find. This Paradise Township site, a Jacob Altland farmhouse was the site of the surrender of York to the Confederates in late-June 1863.
Kraft Mill was one of three southwestern York County mills involved in a water rights fight with a water company in 1910.
Fundraising is underway to place a monument on an otherwise unmarked York City Cemetery, York-area's potter's field.
Public education in York County mostly took place in more than 350 one-room schools between the 1834 and post-World War II.
Glenalvin Goodridge began the family photography business in 1847 and his brothers, William O. and Wallace, followed. The Goodridge brothers operated the business for 75 years, for most of that time in East Saginaw, Mich.
Since its beginning, York County has served as a crossroads. Settlers would pass through here to go to all points of the compass. Centre Square, later Continental Square, illustrated here, was the epicenter of pioneers seeking their fortune. Yet, other intersections have been the scenes of activity, We're exploring those here.