From Jamie Kinsley:
- Wandering in York County blog
- A copy of her dissertation, “The Garden in the Machine: Homesteading, Local Foodways, and Agriculture in York, Pennsylvania,” is in the York County History Center archives and York County Library System.
From James McClure:
- YDR.com columns, York Town Square blog, York Town Square York Black history page and York Town Square York Latino history page.
- Also, “Almost Forgotten: A Glimpse at Black History in York County, Pa.“
- Resources to learn about black history, culture in York County, Pa.
- Recorded local history presentation on various York County topics.
On Facebook: Join the YDR Retro York Group
YDR.com York County history stories: Retro York
York County History Center’s York History at Home
York County History Center Journals of York County Heritage (archived)
York County History Center Archives (with online databases)
Messiah University’s Digital Harrisburg: Exploring the history, society and culture of Pennsylvania’s Capital City. (This site inspired Witnessing York’s Documents page.)
Significant stories, 2020-21
Robert Simpson: Bobby Simpson offers advice to young BLM protesters
Jasmine Vaughn-Hall: Saying “Blue Lives Matter,” doesn’t honor police. It divides us all.
Jasmine Vaughn-Hall: Black Lives Matter movement has impact on artists – and they have our attention
Jamie Kinsley & Jim McClure: A look at accomplished York County women in the 21st century.
Jamie Kinsley & Jim McClure: The Green Book – Struggling to find a place to stay while on family vacation
Write-thrus about significant York County topics
American Revolution: Drama plays out in York as America fought for its life
American Revolution: Is York the first capital of the United States?
American Civil War: This series of quotes explains York County in the Civil War.
American Civil War: York’s surrender in the Civil War: Should we have caved?
York Race Riots: Revolts were a war that left dozens injured and two people dead
Riots and Charrette: 50 years ago: First summer of rioting erupted in York, Pa.
York Charrette: It was no charade, but a time of community character building
Witman fratricide case: Mysteries — like the timeline and knife — still surround Witman murder case 20 years later
Dover Intelligent Design case: 15-years-ago, Dover ID case roiled our community.
Books, online or in library
Youth Dignity from the Grass Roots, Matt Jackson.
Question-and-answer stories with York County, regional leaders
*A write-thru is a journalistic term for a summary pulling together noteworthy pieces of a major story. Witnessing York stories are short write-thrus. The stories above are longer.